It looks like the release of Android on the Samsung Galaxy SII will not allow you to access the files on the phone by default through your Ubuntu PC. I searched for a while to find the solution, and it is so simple!
1. Go to: Settings ➔ Wireless and network ➔ USB utilities.
2. Connect your phone to your PC using a USB cable.
3. Tap Connect storage to PC.
4. Scroll down from the phone notification bar. Click USB Mass Storage and tap “Connect storage from PC”. The android robot will turn from green to orange.
5. From your PC, open the folder to view your files.
6. Copy files between your PC and the memory card.
About Dave Hendley
Dave Hendley is the sole author of all posts on this site.
He is a Technical Consultant based in the UK with years supporting small and medium businesses all the way from workstations to DR.
So... Welcome to The Computer Geek! When turning it off and on again doesn't do the trick!